Staff at a very popular pub that nearly caught fire in Padstow Harbor described when the fire started – and how it could have been so much worse.
The fire broke out mid-afternoon on Saturday as thousands of visitors soaked up the sun on the fishing port – and many enjoyed a pint from the carpenters on the harbor front.
Bartender Ben Gildersleve said the pub was packed and serving drinks around 2:30 p.m. when the fire broke out in the back of the nearby Mountain Warehouse store.
He said he suddenly noticed that the beer pump was not working and had no idea what was going on until he saw several coworkers heading for the back doors and he them. followed.
“I left the bar and opened the back doors and there was a huge cloud of smoke coming from the back of the pub where the storage area is – full of flammable equipment,” he said. he declares.
“My manager and the chefs were over there trying to put out the gas canisters that are right next to where the fire started. If they hadn’t, everything the pub would have caught fire.
“We closed the doors and at that point we decided to push the fire alarm and told everyone to evacuate the pub.
“There were big pillars of smoke everywhere. The problem was the wind. The winds were so strong in Padstow that it was enough to put out a bad cigarette and it would have started a fire.
“The fire crews arrived so quickly. We congratulated them for getting to our house so quickly. If they hadn’t, it could have been very different.”
A dozen fire engines were called to Padstow after the fire broke out and threatened to spread to the nearby pub, other shops and holiday homes.
About 100 patrons were evacuated from the pub to the car park and staff then helped them across the harbor bridge and out of the pub as firefighters tackled the blaze.
Pub manager Oliver Smallwood added: “Thank you to the local firefighters who arrived so quickly. If there had been any more delay it would have been a lot worse for us.
“We went through the standard evacuation procedure and shut off all the electricity and gas, then we got everyone out.”
Padstow fire teams later said: “A swift response prevented this from getting much worse than before and a number of teams from across the region worked hard to bring the blaze under control and save neighboring buildings. . “
Aidan Treglown, who runs a vacation rental management company in Padstow, watched the incident unfold from the Harbor Hotel.
He said he felt it “was not very helpful” for pedestrians to obstruct trucks as they attempted to navigate the busy port.
“I was in the restaurant and we saw the fire trucks coming down towards the harbor.
“Police put up barriers around the pub so no one could get to where the fire is, but the crowds caused a bit of a delay.
“It’s always a nightmare in the harbor, but getting there was a problem.
“The first crews were definitely delayed for a few minutes. As the barriers rose, people concentrated in a smaller area of the port and the situation worsened.
“I don’t expect this to have caused any major delays, but it hasn’t been very helpful.”
The Shipwrights reopened Sunday for drinks only. They expect to resume serving food on Tuesday.